About Dr. Munir, M.D.
Board certified in:
Anesthesiology, Hospice & Palliative Care, Pain Management, Sleep Medicine
Dr. Munir, M.D. CEO of Southwest Ohio Pain Institute, graduated as an Intern from Mayo Hospital, Lahore, Pakistan in 1998. For his advance education, he joined Yale University School of Medicine as a research assistant. He completed his Residency of Anesthesiology from University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in 2003 and proceeded to pursue his fellowship training and certification in Subspecialty of Pain Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School in 2004. He has further received certifications in subspecialties of Sleep Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine in 2011. While at both Yale University and Harvard School of Medicine, Dr. Munir was extensively involved in research and education in the field of Pain Medicine and has published many peer reviewed and non peer reviewed research articles. He has also given many lectures as an Associate Professor at University of Cincinnati, OH (UC) and was actively involved in teaching residents and fellows at the UC. He was appointed Director of Pain Management at University of Cincinnati, OH which he served from 2005-2008.
In 2008, he decided to establish his own private practice. His philosophy is to provide compassionate holistic care to his patients by addressing all the aspects of their lives such as physical, social, psychological and emotional. He believes that chronic pain affects the whole person and hence should be treated holistically to provide long term care. He continues to be involved in various professional societies and is dedicated to provide evidence based interventions and procedures to avoid long term dependence on pain medications and avoid unnecessary surgeries. He has also been affiliated with Veteran Affairs Medical Center since 2007, where he provides advanced interventional pain management for veterans.
Publications & Presentations by Dr. Munir
- Radicular low back pain: what have we learned from recent animal research? Zhang J, Munir M; Anesthesiology. 2008-01-01.
- Nonopioid analgesics. Munir MA Enany N Zhang JM; Anesthesiol Clin. 2007 Dec .
- Are diagnostic lumbar facet injections influenced by pain of muscular origin? Ackerman WE Munir MA Zhang JM Ghaleb A; Pain Pract. 2004 Dec .
- Nonopioid analgesics. Munir MA Enany N Zhang JM; Med Clin North Am. 2007 Jan .
- Fluoroscopy and safety of spinal interventional procedures. Munir MA Rastogi R Nedeljkovic S; Anesth Analg. 2006 May .
- Management of intractable chronic pelvic pain. Ghaleb A Munir MA; J Ark Med Soc. 2005 Nov .
- A modified needle-inside-needle technique for the ganglion impar block. Munir MA Zhang J Ahmad M; Can J Anaesth. 2004 Nov .
- Decreasing sympathetic sprouting in pathologic sensory ganglia: a new mechanism for treating neuropathic pain using lidocaine. Zhang JM Li H Munir MA; Pain. 2004 May .
- An alternative way to use Fogarty balloon catheter for perioperative lung isolation. Munir MA Albataineh JI Jaffar M Campos JH; Anesthesiology. 2003 Jul .
- Reduced duration of muscle relaxation with rocuronium in a normocalcemic hyperparathyroid patient. Munir MA Jaffar M Arshad M Akhter MS Zhang J; Can J Anaesth. 2003 Jun-Jul .
- A further consideration on unsolicited paresthesias with nerve stimulator. Munir MA Jaffar M; Anesth Analg. 2003 May .
- An in situ technique to retrieve an entrapped j-tip guidewire from an inferior vena cava filter. Munir MA Chien SQ; Anesth Analg. 2002 Aug .
- Case of the month. Aberrant placement of central venous catheter in a thymic vein. Munir MA, Saleem M, Zhang JM, Mancino AK; J Ark Med Soc. 2001-10-01.
- A simple technique to reduce preservative/excipient related neurotoxicity of intrathecal (spinal) drugs. Munir MA, Krishnan S, Ahmad M; Anesth. Analg.. 2000-03-01.
- Identification of a new therapeutic approach for iliac crest donor site chronic pain: a case report. Saberski LR, Ahmad M, Munir MA, Brull SJ; Anesth. Analg.. 1999-12-01.
Published Journal Articles
- Cancer-Related Neuropathic Pain: Mechanism and Therapy. Zhang JM, Ghaleb A, Munir MA, Smith H, Brull SJ, Journal of Neuropathic Pain and Symptom Palliation. 2005; 1:55-67
- A simple technique to reduce preservative/excipient related neurotoxicity of intrathecal (spinal) drugs. Munir MA. Krishnan S. Ahmad M, Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2000:90(3):767-8
- In Response: In-situ technique to retrieve entrapped guidewire. Munir MA, Chien SQ, Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2002:95(2):308-9
- An Alternative Way to use Fogarty Balloon Catheter for Perioperative Lung Isolation. Munir MA, Albataineh JI, Jaffar M, Anesthesiology 2003:99:240
- A Further Consideration on Unsolicited Paresthesias with Nerve Stimulator. Munir MA, Jaffar M, Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2003:96(5):1529
- Management of intractable chronic pelvic pain. Ghaleb A. Munir MA, Journal of the Arkansas Medical Society. 102(5):138-41, 2005 Nov
- Cancer-Related Neuropathic Pain Mechanism and Therapy. Jun-Ming Zhang MSc, MD, Ahmed H. Ghaleb MD, Munir MA., Howard S Smith MD, Sorin J. Brull MD, Journal of Neuropathic Pain & Symptom Palliation 1(1): 55-67, 2005
- Assessment of laser Doppler imaging for the diagnosis of complex regional pain syndrome. Ackerman W, Zhang J.-M, Munir MA, J. Neuropathic Pain & Symptom Palliation, 2006 1(4): 13-20
- Nonopioid Analgesics. Munir MA.; Enany, Nasr MD; Jun-Ming Zhang, MSc, MD, Medical Clinics of North America, 2007:Vol 91:1:97
- Fluoroscopic Imaging of Epidural Intravascular Contrast Spread in a Cadaveric Specimen. Sanjeev Agarwal, MD, MS, Stewart Zweikoft, MD, Nasr Enany, MD, Munir MA. MD, The Spine Journal, 2007
- Identification of a New Therapeutic Approach for Iliac Crest Donor Site Chronic Pain: A Case Report. Saberski LR, Ahmad M, Munir MA, Brull SJ, Anesthesia & Analgesia 1999; 89:1538-40
- Aberrant Placement of Central Venous Catheter in a Thymic Vein. Munir MA, Saleem M, Zhang JM, Mancino AK, Journal of the Arkansas Medical Society 2001: 98(4):112-114
- Drugs for Pain. Munir, MA
Editors: Howard S Smith, MD.Hanley & Belfus
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
- Top Doctors 2013 Castle Connolly, 2013
- Meaningful Use Stage 1 Certification Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, 2012
- Top Doctor Castle Connolly, 2012
- Cincinnati’s Best Doctor US News and World Report 2012 to 2017
- Castle Connolly Best Doctors Regional Award 2012 to 2017